CARPE DIEM

CARPE DIEM .... Seize the Day, You will never get this day back - be the best you, embrace your life, love your friends and family. Let the world know you are here !!!



Friday 11 April 2008

Motherhood - It will change your life...

OMG I found this poem that MY MUM sent me in an email years ago and I just have to share - It is quite long but worth the read (I have missed out about three paragraphs as well)....

Motherhood - It will change your life... My Daughter...

We were sitting at lunch when she casually mentions that she and her husband are thinking of "starting a family" - "'We're taking a survey" she says jokingly, "do you think we should have a baby?"

Ït will change your life" I say carefully

Ï know"she says "no more sleeping in no more spontaneous vacations"

BUT THATS NOT WHAT I MEAN AT ALL....

I look at my Daughter, trying to decide what to tell her,
I want her to know what she will never learn in childbirth classes,
I want to tell her that the physical wounds of childbirth heal, but that becoming a mother will leave her with an emotional wound so raw that she will be forever vulnerable.

I consider warning her that she will never read a newspaper again without asking herself "what if that was my child?"That every plane crash, every fire will haunt her. That when she sees pictures of starving children whe will look at the mothers and wonder if anything could be worse than watching your child die.

I look at her carefully manicured nails and clothes and think she should know that no matter how sophisicated she is, becoming a mother will immediatley reduce her to the primitive level of a protective bear and one shout of "Mum" will have her run with no hesitations.

I feel I should warn her no matter how many years she has invested in her career, she will be derailed by motherhood, that she can arrange the best of day care, but one day while going into a meeting she will think of her babies sweet smell and will have to use every ounce of discipline to keep from running home.

I want my daughter to know that everyday decisions will no longer be routine. That a visit to McDonalds and a five year old boys desire to go to the mens room rather than the womens will be a major dilema, issues of independence will be mixed with the prospect of dangers.

I want her to know that however decisive she may be at the moment, she will second and sometimes third guess herself as a mother.

I want to describe to my dautghter the exhilaration of seeing your son learn to hit a baseball, I want to capture for her the laugh of a baby who is touching the soft fur of a dog for the first time, I want her to taste the joy that is so real that it hurts......

My daughters quizzial look makes me realize that tears have formed in my eyes....


You'll never regret it" I finally say

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Jenny that is soooo beautiful,
I am cryin now.
One because I wish that this was what
my mum had said to me.
Two because I wish that my daughter could know exactly how I fee.
Thank you sweetie.
I just love it.
POPCORN XX

Cath said...

Beautiful Jen.....

nikki bird said...

ohh sooo sweet makes me excited bout the future, love ya jenny hope to see ya soon mwa

Cath said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Jenny
Happy Birthday to you.....

Cath xxxxx

Julie said...

Oh bugger Cath beat me he he he
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAREST JEN
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU BABE.
HOPE YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY.
SO GOOD TO SEE YOU YESTERDAY.
AND ET IS STILL MAKIN ME CRACK UP HE HE HE HE
LOVES POPCORN XOXOXO

SHELLEYS SHOUT said...

Happy Birthday to you, Jenny. Now I know that you are older than me, so.... you must be 23 this year? Hope you had a great day. Hey I was in the process of grabbing the phone, cause I thought you had a prang in your car!!! (Re: txt) Glad you didn't. I bet that dwarfs (or height challenged person) was 'Grumpy?

Love ya lots

nikki bird said...

happy b'day jenny sexy chicky babe i owe u lot's a squashes love ya lot's c ya soon mwa